Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How to achieve effortless power

There is an approach used in some martial arts schools in which you learn to use to use an opponent's strength against them. When this technique is used effectively, an almost imperceptible movement on a practitioner's part can cause an opponent to literally fly across a room.

I had the privilege of studying t'ai chi as a martial art a few years ago from a great master named John Salgado - and had the very weird opportunity of experiencing the type of effortless power I'm describing in action. When I was on the winning side of an interaction, what felt so bizarre was the sense that there was no effort involved in my actions, but yet I had done something quite powerful. When I was (more frequently) on the losing side, the experience was equally bizarre, because I would find myself flying through the air (or on the ground) without knowing what had happened to me.

Once I discovered the secret to effortless power in the martial arts arena, it started to have almost mystical impact on my outside life. I found myself closing multi-million dollar deals effortlessly, solving problems effortlessly, even finding parking spots in New York City effortlessly. The practical result here was that my stress levels dropped while my productivity, effectiveness and happiness grew.

Effortless power has to be experienced to be truly appreciated. To realize it, the great martial artists achieve a state-of-being characterized by being: calm while alert; grounded while light, and flowing while deeply focused. Personally, I am still far from realizing the type of transcendent power that you can read about in the martial arts classics, but at the same I am improving at this every day – and I already have achieved a level of personal power and ease that surpasses anything I ever imagined would be possible for me.

Today I have entered a new phase of my professional life – dedicated to giving back, and using what I have learned in the past 49 years to help others define and achieve their own life dreams.

Much of what I hope to offer (through both my coaching and this blog) is the value available to you from learning to harness your ability to generate effortless power.

3 comments:

  1. If you've "achieved all my life goals" you should just bag it and jump off a bridge :-). I assume that "giving back" is ALSO one of your life goals (since that's what you're devoting your life to), and that you haven't yet completely achieved THAT. So I'm not sure that you really HAVE achieved your goals. Consider revising the bio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I have to try t'ai chi! I think some of what you are describing could come under the heading 'synchronicity' achieving balance between individual will and universal will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David; your point is very well taken. I have changed my bio accordingly.

    ReplyDelete